This extremely simple creamy persimmon smoothie recipe will become your winter go-to meal. It is sweet and delicious, and also uses the wonderful seasonal fruit of winter.
What are Persimmons?
Many people have not heard of persimmons. Or they have seen the beautiful orange fruit, and did not try it. Persimmons are incredibly sweet. They are the perfect winter fruit.
There are two varieties: fuyu and hachiya. I love them both, but especially the hachiya. The fuyu persimmons are widely available, and you can eat them when they are hard like an apple. The hachiya must be extremely soft and gooey, like a water balloon. They taste best when their peel becomes slightly translucent and they turn a deep orange color. They taste like caramel!
Visit your local market and buy large cases of persimmons. Sometimes, your local sellers will want to get rid of them because they say they are going bad. This just means they are very ripe, and perfect for us to eat.
For another persimmon recipe, see my Coconut Parfait with Festive Persimmon Chocolate.
- 7-10 persimmons
- 2 cups of coconut milk*
- an inch of fresh ginger or some ground ginger if fresh is unavailable
Blend everything until smooth.
For the coconut milk:
Try not to buy canned coconut milk, as it is not raw, and loses some of its nutrients.
Here are some options for making your own:
1. Blend the water and meat of 1 young Thai coconut.
2. Blend a mature coconut, using the water and meat. Then, sift it through a nut milk bag or cheese cloth to remove the fiber.
3. If you don't have access to fresh coconut, blend raw unsweetened coconut flakes with water in a high speed blender. Use 1:2 ratio (1 cup of coconut flakes to 2 cups water).
3. If you don't have access to fresh coconut, you can also blend 1 tablespoon coconut butter in 1-2 cups water (depending on how creamy and thick you like your milk).
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- Is Eating Vegan Healthy for Everyone? - December 9, 2018
- Healthy Habits for a New You in the New Year - December 2, 2018
- Vegan Dinner Recipes: 1 Week of Whole Food Plant Based Dinner Ideas - November 25, 2018