Enjoying a Healthy Picnic Salad with my Best Friend
Yesterday, I enjoyed a lovely picnic with one of my very favorite people on the planet, one of my closest friends who currently lives in London, also known as my Yazmini! We has this delicious vegan healthy picnic salad, that I want to share with you.
We all have a few people around us who make our SOUL SING. And my Yazmine is one of those people. We can literally talk for hours (we talked for 5 hours this week, and it felt like 5 minutes!) about everything from politics and ethical matters, to food, to our personal pains in life. That’s how you know you have a good friend – she will understood so many aspects of your life.
I miss her so dearly when she is gone, and when she visits, I want to snatch every opportunity to spend time with her. She is one of the most loving, good-hearted people I know, and I feel honored to call her my friend ever since I met her at a bus stop in college, and we found out we were going to the same class in Political Science. I asked her, “are you Lebanese?”, and she was shocked, because she’s 1/4 Lebanese, and no one usually notices. I know my Middle Easterners when I see em!
Anyway, we enjoyed this delicious healthy picnic salad as we talked about the death penalty, our family matters, love, life, and food. This salad was so good, that we decided I need to write a recipe for it.
Some of you may know that I am currently abstaining from eating fats for a little while, because I have found this really helps my period cramps lessen. I am really enjoying this, and it’s helping me come up with lots of creative and fun recipes that I have not tried before. Primarily because I am incorporating cooked food at dinnertime.
This healthy picnic salad exemplifies a super healthy meal – it has great flavor (to me, that means healthy, because without flavor we would never keep up a healthy lifestyle), probiotics (in the sauerkraut), and a very small amount of cooked food among a tub of delicious greens.
This is such a fun and healthy picnic salad to bring outdoors with you. It’s very quick to make, and takes a while to eat (if you eat a large amount like I usually do…). So you can chat with good friends and family, and chew your salad well.
Curry-Dill Sweet Onion Picnic Salad
- 5 handfuls of your favorite organic greens
- 1/4 sweet onion diced
- 1 medium cucumber diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons raw sauerkraut
- 1/4 cabbage sliced and massaged vigorously to soften
- 1/2 a small can of chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium Tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- Slice all of your veggies, besides the cabbage, chickpeas and sauerkraut, and place in a bowl.
- Top with sauerkraut and chickpeas, and mix very well to combine.
- Slice the cabbage thinly using a sharp knife or food processor.
- Use your hands to massage the cabbage by squeezing it to soften it and get much of the liquid out. You can also massage it with the dressing to make it more flavorful.
- For the dressing, place all ingredients in a bowl and combine with whisk or fork. Then pour on your salad.
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- Plant Based Diet Weight Loss: The Keys to Finally Losing Weight - July 6, 2019
- Soy Curls Recipe: Easy, Healthy Vegan Orange Chicken - June 23, 2019
- What to Eat on a Whole Food, Plant Based Diet and What to Exclude - June 18, 2019