You can easily pickle your own capers at home. Most store-bought capers contain a lot of preservatives, and stand on the shelves for a long time. They are devoid of nutrition. When you pickle your own capers, you can have a fun experience of picking them and putting them in brine. It’s very easy, and fun to do as a family.
How to Pickle your Own Capers: Picking Capers
In Jerusalem, capers grow everywhere, and they specifically love to nestle in between rocks on stone walls. The caper bush is absolutely beautiful, and its flowers are very bright. It’s really fun to pick capers too, because you get to know your local terrain and get in touch with city nature.
We started out by going around the neighborhood and collecting many capers. Be careful, they have annoying little thorns. You must pluck them gently from the stem. Capers are easy to recognize by their beautiful white flowers.
After collecting many capers in a jar (we filled about a quarter of a jar with them), wash them very well.
Then, follow the process described below to pickle your own capers easily.
Pickle Your Own Capers
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 3/4 of a small mason jar 16 oz of freshly picked capers
- Mix the liquid and salt very well.
- Allow to sit on the counter until you no longer see the salt on the bottom of the jar.
- Add capers to the solution.
- Then, leave the mixture with the capers on your counter.
- Finally, after three days, try it out, and decide if you want to pickle further or not.
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- 3 Tips that Make Living Plant Based so Easy, Delicious & Healthy - December 29, 2019
- Healthy Vegan Meals: 3 Easy Ideas for Every Meal of the Day, In Under 15 - October 13, 2019
- Healthy Vegan Lunch Ideas to Last You a Whole Week - August 4, 2019