Coconuts make a lovely base for salad dressings, especially when mixed with delicious spices like curry and ginger. We recently bought a whole case of coconuts, and I’ve been using the water for my morning smoothies and ice creams, and the fruit/jelly for salad dressings – creamy and light at the same time.
How to Open a Coconut
I’ve tried many ways of opening coconuts, and have found the quickest one to be using a cleaver (funny enough – this is the kind of “meat” cleaver I love to use!) and a coconut buddie. This little plastic thing seems like it’s no good – but trust me, it makes taking out the flesh of the coconut a breeze! I first make some cracks around the parameter of the top of the coconut using my cleaver. Make sure you make a wide enough circle, so that taking out the flesh is easier. After you make a few cracks in a circle, you can use your cleaver to remove a circle portion off the top of the coconut, and then use the coconut buddie to remove the flesh (look at their website for precise directions – it’s very easy).
Raw Vegan Creamy Coconut Curry Dressing
- flesh of 1 young Thai coconut
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 very small zucchinis or 1 large
- pinch of salt
- small chunk of ginger
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 large green onion
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Blend all ingredients together until very smooth.
- Top a plate of greens with this dressing, adding any vegetables that you like to it.
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- 3 Tips that Make Living Plant Based so Easy, Delicious & Healthy - December 29, 2019
- Healthy Vegan Meals: 3 Easy Ideas for Every Meal of the Day, In Under 15 - October 13, 2019
- Healthy Vegan Lunch Ideas to Last You a Whole Week - August 4, 2019