I have lived in Jerusalem for the last 5 years, and had hummus at every opportunity. Whether it comes from the Jews or the Palestinians, hummus is awesome! It’s one of the most delicious concoctions there is, and I am always tempted to go in and get the boiled version. Now that I don’t live in Jerusalem any longer, I have to make sure to make my own hummus. This raw vegan hummus recipe is delicious, simple, nutritious. And reminds me of home!
This is also a very cheap raw vegan hummus recipe to make, and can last in the fridge for about 3 days.
Raw Vegan Hummus Recipe: Sprouted Chickpea Hummus
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup raw tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of our spicy paste* see link below
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin
- 7 olives de-pitted
- Optional spices: salt black pepper, cayenne, turmeric (if you want it yellow), coriander
- First, sprout the chickpeas. To do this, soak them overnight. Then, place them on a sprouting tray and rinse 2-3 times a day.
- You can use the chickpeas once they begin growing small white tails. This will take about 2 days.
- To make the hummus, place all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Lastly, add a bit of dried parsley and smoked paprika on top for an authentic look.
How to enjoy:
You can dip veggies like onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers in your raw vegan hummus recipe.
Or, you can use it as a spread for wraps and sandwiches, adding any other ingredients you like on top. (I like to add onions, sauerkraut, and tomatoes).
And now, for the second version. This amazing low fat raw vegan hummus recipe is bean free, and extremely fast to make because no sprouting is needed. It’s creamy, rich, and full of vegetables.
You can use this raw vegan hummus recipe in my Raw Vegan Mediterranean Wrap. Recipe here. I provided a variation of raw vegan low fat hummus there. You can see that you can always play around with your vegetables to make hummus. The main important ingredients are tahini, garlic, lemon, and cumin. All the rest can be amended. Enjoy your time in the kitchen!
Raw Vegan Hummus Recipe: Low Fat and Bean Free
- 1 tablespoon tahini unroasted
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup water
- Throw all ingredients in a blender, and blend until extremely smooth.
- You can add more water if you need to for blending.
- If you do not have a high speed blender, be sure to mill your chia seeds ahead of time in a coffee grinder.
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- Plant Based Diet Weight Loss: The Keys to Finally Losing Weight - July 6, 2019
- Soy Curls Recipe: Easy, Healthy Vegan Orange Chicken - June 23, 2019
- What to Eat on a Whole Food, Plant Based Diet and What to Exclude - June 18, 2019