Although I lived half my life in San Diego, where everyone was in love with Mexican food, I never liked Mexican food. It felt too greasy to me. Until I discovered the fresh, high-quality real Mexican food. Fruits, vegetables, in delicious spicy, lime, and cilantro flavors. It was perfect. When I started eating raw, I decided it was time to create raw vegan walnut tacos that had all of the fresh herbs and guacamole, with none of the greasy meat from the original. Here it is!
Raw Vegan Walnut Tacos: the Tortilla
You can enjoy these tacos in many different wrappers. While some of them are not traditionally Mexican, it doesn’t mean the dish won’t turn out delicious. You can wrap the filling in a nori sheet, lettuce (or any other leafy greens like collard leaves or kale), or cabbage leaf, like I did. You can also eat the fillings as it, or create a salad with them adding shredded lettuce.
Raw Vegan Walnut Tacos Recipe
For the guacamole
- One avocado perfectly ripe
- One small tomato chopped thinly
- 2 tablespoons white or purple onion chopped thinly
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- Small splash of lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 clove of garlic pressed
- 1/2 cucumber chopped thinly
- 1/2 bell pepper any color you'd like, chopped thinly
- A pinch of turmeric cumin, and chili powder if you like spicy!
For the walnut taco meat
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
For the guacamole
- First, cut the avocado in half.
- Throw out the pit, and use a big spoon to scoop out the entire avocado into a big bowl.
- Smash up the avocado with a fork.
- Then beat the mixture as if you're beating eggs.
- It should turn out fluffy and smooth.
- Add your salt and spices. Beat shortly again.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, lemon juice first, and mix everything.
For the taco meat
- Pulse all ingredients in the food processor until a crumbly texture results. It should resemble taco meat in appearance.
- Place a scoop of walnut meat and a scoop of guacamole in your choice of tortilla (see above). You can add a handful of sprouts on top for extra nutrients.
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- Healthy Vegan Meals: 3 Easy Ideas for Every Meal of the Day, In Under 15 - October 13, 2019
- Healthy Vegan Lunch Ideas to Last You a Whole Week - August 4, 2019
- 1 Week of Healthy and Delicious Vegan Breakfast Meals - July 21, 2019