Although I lived half my life in San Diego, where everyone was in love with Mexican food, I never liked Mexican food. It felt too greasy to me. Until I discovered the fresh, high-quality real Mexican food. Fruits, vegetables, in delicious spicy, lime, and cilantro flavors. It was perfect. When I started eating raw, I decided it was time to create raw vegan walnut tacos that had all of the fresh herbs and guacamole, with none of the greasy meat from the original. Here it is!
Raw Vegan Walnut Tacos: the Tortilla
You can enjoy these tacos in many different wrappers. While some of them are not traditionally Mexican, it doesn’t mean the dish won’t turn out delicious. You can wrap the filling in a nori sheet, lettuce (or any other leafy greens like collard leaves or kale), or cabbage leaf, like I did. You can also eat the fillings as it, or create a salad with them adding shredded lettuce.
- One avocado perfectly ripe
- One small tomato chopped thinly
- 2 tablespoons white or purple onion chopped thinly
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- Small splash of lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 clove of garlic pressed
- 1/2 cucumber chopped thinly
- 1/2 bell pepper any color you'd like, chopped thinly
- A pinch of turmeric cumin, and chili powder if you like spicy!
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
First, cut the avocado in half.
Throw out the pit, and use a big spoon to scoop out the entire avocado into a big bowl.
Smash up the avocado with a fork.
Then beat the mixture as if you're beating eggs.
It should turn out fluffy and smooth.
Add your salt and spices. Beat shortly again.
Add the rest of the ingredients, lemon juice first, and mix everything.
Pulse all ingredients in the food processor until a crumbly texture results. It should resemble taco meat in appearance.
Place a scoop of walnut meat and a scoop of guacamole in your choice of tortilla (see above). You can add a handful of sprouts on top for extra nutrients.
Raw Vegan Taco Tuesday Recipes
And for more delicious raw vegan Mexican-inspired recipes, check out my ebook:
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- Healthy Vegan Twix Recipe: Date-Sweetened, Oil-Free - December 10, 2017
- Easy Vegan Recipes: Vegan What I Eat in a Busy Day - December 3, 2017
- Vegan Hacks: My Fave 10 Healthy Vegan Cooking Hacks for Busy People - November 26, 2017