The vegan breakfast recipe I am about to present to you may sound very strange at first. When I told my friend I was putting turmeric in my oatmeal in the morning, she said I had to create such a recipe and prove to her that it actually tastes good. But you know me, right? I never create any recipe without being absolutely sure that it tastes divine.
And this vegan breakfast recipe definitely does. So much so, that I have it on many cold mornings. And my favorite part is that it is so easy to make – it literally takes less than 5 minutes to put together.
Watch the video recipe:
Inflammation is at the root of many different illnesses, from arthritis to bronchitis. Many -itis, I know. Inflammation has been really interesting to me lately, and if you have been following me for a while, you would know that I have researched it a lot. This is because I have discovered that inflammation can be an issue when it comes to menstrual cramps. This is something I am still looking into, and reading research on, and I promise to report back soon.
Meanwhile, If you want to learn more about inflammation and its impact on the body, I highly recommend reading this article that I wrote.
Turmeric: the Anti-Inflammatory King
In the article I have already written on inflammation, I mentioned that research found that 4 spices/roots are particularly important in fighting inflammation – be sure to check out the article to learn what they are.
Here, I want to focus on the true king of anti-inflammation: turmeric.
There has been extensive research about the amazing health benefits and preventative abilities of turmeric:
- Turmeric and disease: a study showed that turmeric stops or slows pre-cancerous changes in the body from becoming cancer. Research has also shown turmeric’s positive impact on digestion, as it helps the gallbladder produce bile, drive ulcerative colities to remission, atherosclerosis buildup, infections, inflammation in the eye (uveitis), and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer, Parkinson, multiple sclerosis, and more. All in all, a pretty impressive track record for a little orange root!
- Turmeric and inflammation: turmeric is stronger than many anti-inflammatory drugs in its impact on the body! Inflammation puts humans at risk for such a huge variety of disease (such as ones mentioned above like cancer, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, and more), and it is incredible to learn that turmeric was found to be stronger than Ibuprofen and aspirin in fighting inflammation, as this study found.
- Turmeric has been found to be safe, tolerable, non-toxic, even at 8 grams per day.
Vegan Breakfast Recipe: Ginger Turmeric Oatmeal
Looking at all of these incredible health benefits of turmeric, I have decided to be start consuming it every single day in small amounts. This vegan breakfast recipe was a perfect way to start my day turmeric-rich.
The best part of it was adding the black pepper to enhance turmeric absorption, as so many studies have shown that turmeric is not very bioavailable to the body, and so it does not get absorbed when eaten on its own. Black pepper does the magic. I have written more about this, including a delicious savory recipe that includes turmeric + black pepper, here.
This sweet vegan breakfast recipe is quick, easy, and super yum. I also sometimes like to make it the night before, if I am rushing somewhere, and eat it in the morning. It makes it even more soft and breaks down the oats further to let them sit overnight, but it’s not a must.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup you can also chop up 5 Medjoul dates instead
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric or freshly grated
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or freshly grated, less if you don't like ginger
- 1 cup frozen or fresh berries of choice
Mix oats with water, maple, turmeric, black pepper, and ginger, and mix really well. Add in the fresh or frozen berries. I love to use blueberries or raspberries in this recipe.
Let sit for 10 minutes, or overnight in your fridge for a mushier oatmeal.
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- Vegan Meal Prep: Time-Saving Tips and Tricks for Easy Meals - January 13, 2019
- Vegan Grocery List and Grocery Shopping Tips to Beat the Overwhelm - January 6, 2019
- Vegan Pantry Staples: 10 Tips on Stocking the Perfect Plant Based Pantry - December 23, 2018