For this amazingly delicious recipe, I am using potatoes and tofu to create a creamy, heavenly cheese that is nut-free. You can enjoy as is, or bake it with the chickpea breadcrumbs for additional flavor and crunch.
I remember trying raw tofu for the first time and really disliking it. I made a silken tofu chocolate mouse and practically had to toss it, so I was pretty hesitant to experiment with tofu again. But I am so glad I did! Because this tofu cheese turned out absolutely incredible, and I am sure you will love it, too.
As you can see from the very short video, this is a simple and very quick recipe to make.
This vegan mac and cheese is perfect to include in your healthy Thanksgiving feast, or any day of the year really! I’ve made it a few times since coming up with this recipe, and everyone loves it!
For this delicious, simple vegan mac and cheese we are using only 11 ingredients, including all the spices! Super simple to whip up.
First, steam some Yukon gold potatoes. If you can get access to these, I highly recommend it because they are the most buttery and cheesy tasting potatoes.
After dumping all of the sauce ingredients, including the potatoes, into the blender, use your tamper to blend the sauce until super smooth.
Cook up your choice of macaroni – you can use gluten free or whole grain. Both work very well with this recipe. After that is cooked, mix it with your sauce.
At this point, you can either be completely done and devour as is. It’s delicious – I am telling you! Or you can choose to make baked mac and cheese.
To make baked vegan mac and cheese, top your mac and cheese with smoked paprika and chickpea breadcrumbs. This way, you’re getting some extra nutrition from the chickpeas, and extra crunch too!
Vegan Mac and Cheese, Nut-Free
For the vegan cheese sauce:
- Chop the potatoes into small pieces
- Steam the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until soft
- Meanwhile, cook your macaroni of choice according to package instructions. You can do this in the same pot where you steam the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F if baking the mac and cheese. This is optional.
- Make the sauce by combining potatoes, tofu, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic and herb seasoning, turmeric, and black pepper in a high speed blender.
- Blend sauce ingredients until completely smooth. Use your tamper to push the contents into the blades.
- Open the blender very carefully, as contents may be very hot.
- Once pasta is cooked, place it in a glass oven-safe dish. I used a pyrex 9.5 inch pie plate.
- Combine pasta with sauce. You can enjoy as is, or bake in the oven.
- To bake, top pasta with smoked paprika, then breadcrumbs evenly.
- Place in the oven at 400F for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs turn slightly golden.
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- Jackfruit Recipe: Vegan Mediterranean Jackfruit Bowl - April 21, 2019
- Going Vegan Healthily: Tips from My Journey + Lessons and Mistakes - April 7, 2019
- How to Eat More Vegetables: Tips, Recipes and Ideas - March 31, 2019