This vegan tomato soup is proof that healthy food can be extremely flavorful and easy to make, all at the same time. There is this myth out there that we must compromise. That we have to choose between our health and taste buds. But this soup proves otherwise, my friends. And it is even extremely fast to make. Just blend, and… done!
While traditional tomato soup is quite heavy and comforting, this vegan tomato soup is very light and refreshing. Because it is completely raw, it takes minutes to make and it also delivers incredible flavor. I find that cooking dumbs-down the taste of tomatoes, while blending them and serving raw makes their freshness shine.
With just a handful of very simple, real ingredients, you can create a gourmet meal that can be eaten as an appetizer, or as your main meal, if you wish.
Vegan Tomato Soup Ingredients
I always encourage you to play around in the kitchen. Remember, (almost) every recipe I create is flexible. It can be suited to anyone’s taste buds. My vegan tomato soup is no exception. I used meyer lemon to create it, but you can use any lemon or lime of your choice. The rule is always to start out with the smallest amount, and to add more if there is a need. You can also decrease or increase the seasonings according to your taste buds.
Another optional add on that I love is my hot sauce on top. If you love spicy, this would be the perfect thing to add to this already delicious soup.
If it is currently summer for you, rejoice. This is the perfect summer soup. But to be honest, I enjoy this soup very much during winter as well. Turn that heater on, and allow your body to feel fresh and clean even in the winter months when you feel like lightening your load. It is a great detoxifying and easy-digesting soup.
I personally enjoyed it outside with some beautiful California sun. Yes, we are lucky enough to get it, even in the winter. There is incredible joy in being able to sit outside and enjoy a healthy, easy, and delicious meal, containing real ingredients.
Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe
For the soup
- 2 cups tomatoes of any kind chopped
- 2 green onions
- 1 cup cilantro chopped (hot tip: use the bottom stems of the cilantro that you typically throw away; you won't be able to tell because it will all be blended)
- 6 tablespoons meyer lemon juice or 4-5 tablespoons of lemon as meyer lemon is sweeter
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder optional, but recommended
For the cashew sour cream
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 cups zucchini chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar, though I think coconut tastes a lot better here
- 3/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
For the soup
- Place all ingredients in a blender, starting with the tomatoes for easier blending
- Blend everything until smooth, or a bit chunky - depending on your liking.
- Place in a bowl.
Top with cashew sour cream
- Cover cashews with water, and let sit overnight to soften and make them easier to digest.
- Discard the water.
- Place all ingredients in the blender, starting with zucchini for easier blending.
- If you do not want a green hue to your cashew sour cream, peel the zucchini and save the peels for another recipe (I like to use them in juices).
- Blend until very smooth, and place a dollop on your soup.
- This recipe makes 2 cups of sour cream, so you will have much more than you need. But trust me, it will be gone very quickly.
- Top with my hot sauce (link above) if you like!
Latest posts by Marina Yanay-Triner (see all)
- 3 Tips that Make Living Plant Based so Easy, Delicious & Healthy - December 29, 2019
- Healthy Vegan Meals: 3 Easy Ideas for Every Meal of the Day, In Under 15 - October 13, 2019
- Healthy Vegan Lunch Ideas to Last You a Whole Week - August 4, 2019